Argumentative essays are one of the most common papers in colleges and universities. If you’ve been assigned an argumentative essay work, the first step to take is to figure out what you want to talk about. Once you’ve chosen your topic, the next step is finding relevant facts to support it.
Learning how to write and outline your argumentative essay is very important. The best argumentative essays should present relevant proof that supports a claim and persuades the reader to agree with a specific subject matter.
Choosing an Argumentative Essay Topic
One of the most challenging parts when writing an argumentative essay is choosing an appropriate topic; however, there are numerous ways to get you started. Below are some ideas that you should consider when choosing a topic for your essay.
Keep Your Audience in Mind
Understanding your audience is a very important factor while writing your essay. People’s experiences and backgrounds may have an impact on how they’ll respond to opinions different from their own. For this reason, make sure you have knowledge about such factors.
Conduct Thorough Research
Good essay topics don’t depend entirely on your personal point of view but on extensive research. When conducting research make sure you cite out reliable sites to use in your article.
Choose A Debatable Theme
When choosing a topic for your essay, make sure you choose something that can be debated on. Also, remember to provide arguments for both sides of the topic.
Topical Ideas for Argumentative Essay
A number of argumentative essay topics are mostly controversial. These topics are majorly based on a personal viewpoint and should be supported with relevant facts. Here are a few examples.
- Are teachers and schools responsible for student’s lower grades?
- Should rich people pay higher taxes?
- Are people too dependent on Technology?
- Do you think school uniforms are beneficial?
- Do you think the election process is fair?
- Is it good for men to get paternity leave?
- Is cheating uncontrollable?
- Should smoking of cigarettes be prohibited?
- Do you think CEO’s receive too much money?
- Do you think creationism should be taught in school?
- Should prisoners vote?
- Should English be made the state language of the US?
- Are there advantages of going to a single-gender school?
- Can boredom lead to trouble?
- Is there a throwaway society?
- Should animals be used in the research process?
- Does the United States of America have a fair tax system?
- Is the death sentence effective?
- Should torture be justified?
- Do you think cell phones are dangerous?
- Is child behavior getting worse or better?
- Do you think professional athletes and actors receive too much money?
- The impact of video games on teenagers
- Is beauty pageant an exploitive industry?
- Do you think the racing industry should use biofuels?
- Do you think the alcohol drinking age should be lowered or increased?
- Is it necessary for everyone to recycle?
- Should schools be opened all year round?
- Do you think the government should provide health care services?
- Is abortion illegal?
- Do you think girls are too cruel to each other?
- Is homework beneficial or harmful to students?
- Do you think the government should legalize the use of Marijuana nationally?
- Do you think college admissions is competitive?
- Advantages and disadvantages of electric voting
Implementing the strategies highlighted above will definitely aid you in your writing. Lastly, in order to make a great impact on your audience, always remember to choose a compelling topic for your essay.